Home > Blogs >

The Next Big Thing – Top Website Design Trends in 2023

The Next Big Thing – Top Website Design Trends in 2023

Top Website Design designvikings.com

With the increasing number of smartphone users in the world and technology advancement, the trend of e-commerce, online shopping and buying through websites has become a common phenomenon. Particularly post the Covid-19 pandemic, websites and online buying have gained significant attention. Websites have become an integral part of business defining brand identity. Although there are over 1.1 billion websites on the entire web, only 18% are active and regularly updated. The remaining 82% remain mostly inactive. Although the number seems small enough, it is still very large considering the total number of websites in the world. Small businesses in particular are looking for engaging and interactive websites to boost their sales and businesses. Only 64% of small business owners have a website, while the rest 36% feel that they don’t need a website. Out of that 64%, 42% are willing to invest money to improve their website performance to outperform.

For this particular purpose, business owners need to pay special attention to certain factors. These include website performance and trendy designs for the enhanced appeal to the targeted audience and drive more sales. Today, we take a look at some of the exciting web design trends in 2023. This will help you build a strong website to outplay competitors while shaping the future of the internet and website.

Responsive Website Design

Responsiveness is a key factor in designing websites today. As the number of smartphone users grows, responsiveness becomes a growing trend for all website owners and customers alike. It shows no sign of stopping in the future. Although it has been an integral part of the website, the importance today and future cannot be undermined. Responsiveness helps in making your website loveable from whichever device the customer logs on to it. Responsive website design is compatible not only with web browsers but all mobile, tablet and portable devices. Although the debate still exists over the implementation of responsive designs, the trend is here to stay and has more or less become a norm for designers worldwide.

Flat Designs Are Reemerging

Everything started out with a flat design in the earlier versions of the website. Then, the user trend shifted towards more glamorous and vibrant designs which were more layered and gave a 3D-like feel. It was accompanied by skeuomorphism which focused on designing and integrating objects that looked like real-life objects. For example, the recycle bin on Windows desktop appears very much like its real world form. Additional styling and elements included drop shadows, textures and gradients to give a livelier feel. From 2012 onwards, the trend of flat designs returned. It was particularly observed with the release of Microsoft Windows 8 focusing on flat designs. Despite the initial success, it was faced with a lot of backlash. It was criticized for icons not representing their functions and confusing the users, with semi-flat designs replacing them.

With no significant trend emerging in competition to flat design, they have picked up the pace and will continue to dominate the digital world. Flat design uses both sober and bright colors in such a contrast that it looks stunning and visually captivating. Google’s Material Design was introduced to facilitate flat design further by adding minimal textures and shadows. Still, flat designs are the go-to trend for website design and there’s no shying away from it in the future.

Quality Typography

The fonts and typefaces can be categorized as free and premium. Premium typefaces are paid, offering high-quality, while free fonts are available for commercial use without a license. Wealthy individuals commonly opted for premium fonts, while many website designers preferred using free typefaces due to cost considerations. The difference is not just in cost but quality as well. Premium and paid typefaces have excellent fonts to choose from. Recently, the premium subscription of paid typefaces has decreased drastically in price and is available for a very minimal cost. Many web designers have opted to use premium typefaces for their design which gives a cool and edgy look.

Not only the trend has captivated websites, but many logos, business cards and marketing collaterals are using premium typefaces. This trend is also picking up pace and is expected to grow even further. If you’re planning a website design for your business, don’t shy away from using the premium font for an exclusive and classy brand look.

Scrolling Instead of Clicking

Scrolling is the new trend instead of clicking on different links to navigate to new pages. But clicking had become an obsolete feature. People were mainly tired of loading times and searching for relevant products/services by surfing the entire website. All of this made the behavior repetitive and thus frustrated the customer. In the past few years, this has been replaced by long scrolls. The website continues to load as the user keeps scrolling downwards and the website is a page-long showcase. Similar is the case with the products page as the customers don’t want to switch page after page to look for their desired products, while they can now scroll down to look for hundreds of options on a single page. The scrolling trend has now become a norm, particularly in e-commerce websites which contain a product gallery.

Enlarged and Animated Backgrounds

Whether in terms of videos or images in the website background, animation has occupied a crucial place in website design. Enlarged images and videos that cover the entire screen of your mobile or desktop engage the audience like no other. As a matter of fact, customers form the first impression about a website in about 0.05 seconds. If the website is static, or taking too long to load, the customer forms a negative impression about the website and is likely to not buy from a certain website in the future. This might also create a negative vibe and derailed word of mouth which might also affect the traffic and conversion rate on your website.

The enlarged images and animations are subtly incorporated into the background of your website in the design, resulting in capturing the attention of the user in one go while also smartly incorporating your brand’s message in the middle so your customers can not only remain engaged but familiarize with your brand’s philosophy.

Micro-interactions

The small tools and products that are used on a website as a medium of interaction between the website and customers are called micro-interactions. These include pop-ups, buttons, scroll bars, calculators etc. are some examples of micro-interactions that engage the customers. These are actually call-to-action tools that encourage the customers to act if they like the website or product. Micro-interactions are small objects that provide the element of fun to the website. These micro-interactions are generally embedded on the landing pages instead of the main websites to get customers to perform a certain action towards the website.

These micro-interactions are also many times associated with an animation or effect – they trigger when hovered upon or a designated item is clicked. However, it is to be noted that micro-interactions should not take over the entire website design and are a small part of it. Micro-interactions are a trend that is not stopping anytime soon and are likely to be embedded among all website designs in 2023.

Conclusion

If you want to make your website stand out among millions of websites around the world, you need to be presenting an element of uniqueness and freshness that tempts customers into trying your product or service. Keeping up to date with the design and functionality trends, and keep evolving with all the recent offerings is the only constant that will keep you on the top. These trends are inclusive of responsiveness, flat design, micro-interactions, long-scroll designs, exclusive typography, and enlarged multimedia. With these things in the trend, you would want to incorporate all of these elements in your design currently, but as time goes by, make sure to match your steps with the dynamic trends to always stay on top in the customer’s mind and eyes.

Tags